"The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have."

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Year Ago TODAY......

A year ago today, I heard the worst news that anyone wants to hear. "You have Cancer". On August 6, 2007 I was diagnosed with stage I breast cancer. We don't have breast cancer in my family so it was a HUGE shock! After undergoing chemothereapy and radiation treatments, I am a new person! I have a new outlook on life! I want to be a better person and help those around me! I want to enjoy EVERY moment that I have with my family. Although I am not quite sure what I was supposed to learn from this trial, I have had COUNTLESS blessings! I am just so grateful for a wonderful husband and a caring, supportive family who was always here to help us out! We couldn't have gotten through this without them! Thanks to our wonderful friends and neighbors too! We were definitley blessed to live in the right neighborhood who was so willing to help out with meals, mowing our lawn, etc. Thanks again to ALL OF YOU! I'm looking forward to a long Healthy Life because I AM A SURVIVOR!! I spoke at the Relay for Life in June and maybe one of the reasons I got cancer was so I could give HOPE to others who are struggling with it. This has definitely opened my eyes and I am a lot more sympathetic of the struggles that others are facing as well.
I can't wait for my hair to be this long again. It sure is taking forever, but at least it is coming back, right?

Our neighbors decided to all shave their heads to support me when I lost all of mine. Trevor was first in line so here is a picture of me shaving his head.
Here were all of the neighbors that were watching and apart of this. We had a neighborhood dinner earlier and then they surprised me by "getting out the clippers". It wasn't long after this that I actually shaved mine too. I got tired of having hair EVERYWHERE!
I wore a lot of hats because I wasn't really into scarfs or turbins. I'm glad I have some pictures of myself without hair. Even though it was hard to look in the mirror or have any bit of confidence, I know I won't regret taking these pictures! One my my new looks was the new WIG. It was definitely an adjustment but I got used to it and actually preferred wearing it over being bald. I felt somewhat normal when I wore my wig and people didn't stare at me.
Trevor drove me down to Ogden for radiation pretty much every day! I am so blessed to have him and Kailey in my life! At least I have been able to see what my hair looks like short! I wouldn't have ever cut it this short, so it does give me a chance to try a different look!
I AM A SURVIVOR!!!!!





25 comments:

The Wright Fam said...

It is amazing what a difference a year makes! You are an inspiration of hope to me! Thanks for your courageous example!

Megan and Jon said...

Amy you are so awesome, This made me cry. You are definalty someone I look up to when I think about handling trials with dignity and grace. You always were so strong and happy about everything you went thru. YOU ARE A SURVIVOR GIRL. If nothing else I learned so much by watching you the last year, it strengthened my testimony so much of the gospel and the reasons things happen and how we can endure them with patience.

And I love you hair short, I wished I dared do it.

Brooke and Jason said...

That is an awesome post amy. I am so glad you are doing well. I am really glad Jason and I have an opportunity to know you and Trevor.

Hale Family said...

Hi Amy
This is Victoria. I was with Liz this weekend and asked how your were and she said that you had a blog so I thought I would say hello. What an amazing story! I am glad all is well - what a beautiful little girl!
E-mail me at josephandvictoriahale@hotmail.com and I will send you an invite to our blog.
Victoria

Beeks by the Lake said...

Wow! Look at your gorgeous curls! Your hair fabulous this length - although I know what it's like to want to grow it out and see yourself again in the mirror. You are beautiful inside and out. Congratulations on surviving. Isn't great to be on this side of the year?! You are more than a survivor. You are THRIVING and helping others get through their trials as well - maybe that is why you are thriving. Service. Receiving and giving. Anyway, how is your energy these days? Take care and have a great summer.

Denise and Nathan said...

You are on amazing woman, that's for sure. I'm glad you're a survivor. Life is good because you're a part of it. What an example you've been to me this past year especially. You're always smiling, through the thick and thin. What a blessing you are to so many.

emalina49a said...

I am so glad to hear you are doing so well. What a support you had, a loving husband, great neighbors, etc. Good luck and god bless for the future!

me and him said...

lets be honest, i don't really know you that well. but i feel like i do just from hearing all the nice things your friends say about you. you are truly an inspiration to everyone having trials. and even though my trails wont make me lose my hair (although sometimes it feels like it!) you even give me hope! happy days ahead!

Average Me said...

Yes you are a survivor. YOU ALWAYS HAVE BEEN! We miss you guys and I miss your face. I hope that I was a positive through your experience and not a negative. i have to admit that your cancer caught me so off gaurd that I had a really hard time accepting it. Especially who it happened to. I just remember that experience I had when I had found out you had cancer and I was praying about it. That is one of the most incredible experiences of my entire life. I am so thankful for it. I love your face and hope you know I love you guys. Much love. Muah

The Strawn Family said...

Amy, you are the most incredible person I know. I am so grateful for your example and for your friendship. You look beautiful! I love you!

Bunderson Family said...

Ames, I love looking at your blog, but not so good at commenting...this post was inspiring...you are amazing...you always have been and you have teh personality that just draws people to you....even if it does mean getting into a little trouble!!! :) How old is Kailey now...what month was she born in?? She is sure a cute girl...she reminds me of Taylor in her pictures...maybe one day they will get into as much mischief as us??!! :)
Jen...woody

Mindy said...

Amy, you are AMAZING! I remember getting your email and just bawling while I read it, then calling Jason to tell him. We were so shocked. That is something you've done for everyone else too--brought awareness. I would never have thought to check for something like breast cancer at this age and now I will never feel immune. You're so strong! And I love your hair short, you look great with no hair, long hair, or short hair! We love you :)

Lisa said...

Amy you are amazing! I am so glad that you are a survivor. I love you so much. You are such a great example to me. I had so much fun being your roommate. I wish we lived closer so I could see you more often. We need to have a reunion with all the "crazies" soon. It has been way to long.

Remodelaholic said...

Amy, you are wonderful! Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I was reading this and already feeling uplifted about my own trials. It is such a gift to have the good attitude that you have and not always the easiest thing to get to.

(We just found your blog, while blog stalking! We are so glad to get in touch with our friends from Logan! Love, Justin and Cassity from USU 28th- if you want to check out our blog it is comeitch.blogspot.com)

Oh and just FYI- you look Fabulous with short hair!

Angie said...

You look so great!! I'm glad you done with it all too. You are such an inspiration and I can't wait to catch up sometime.

Walters Family said...

Even though I have never met you, you are an inspiration to me. Cody speaks very highly of you and Im so happy for your success!

Ayers Clan said...

Hey! Amy I just want you to know that I think you are such an awsome woman. Everytime I look at your blog your family amazes me. We love you guys so much!

Team Tingey said...

Amy, you are GREAT! You are such a great example and inspiration. The best part about it is that you have been that way your whole life. You have always been so positive and happy. Every memory I have of you puts a big smile on my face. Thanks for being the person that you are! The story about you almost peeing your pants surprised me a little bit...have you been working on your bladder control? When did you learn to hold it in...if you have any secret tricks let me know PLEASE! I have had some unfortunate moments lately! Well i better stop before I completly make a fool of myself.

Doug and Rikki Wood said...

Amy you are amazing! Thank you for being such a huge inspiration to all of us! You have always been a strong girl and I knew if anyone could get through this it would be YOU! I love you tons!

Rikki

Lori said...

What an amazing woman you are. It's so great that you can look back on the last year and know that there was a purpose to it all and let yourself grow through all of your trials. You truly are such a great example of strength and grace.

You really do look great with short hair! Was it that curly before?

Jamie said...

Amy--
That was an great post. I totally cried. You amaze me! I am so happy that you have Trevor and Kailey and that they still have you! Yay for survivors!

Three Men and a Janie said...

Oh Ames, I just LOVE YOU! I am so proud of your courageous attitute. You are a truly an inspiration to me!

Shauntell said...

It has been such a pleasure to know you. Thanks for your hope and love. I love the picture of you and Trev holding hands. You are a beautiful women with or without hair!

Hillery said...

Amy, you are such an amazing person! I was so happy and excited to see you in Logan the other day! You are truly an inspiration person! You have an incredible family and many friends who love you and support you! KEEP SURVIVING! Life only gets better when we only look to the bright future!! Lots of love and support
Hill

Lacey Harris said...

Okay, thanks Amy, now I'm crying...thank you for sharing that. Chad and both love you and are grateful for your example. Way to go friend. I love your hair too!

See My Hair GROW!!!!

Random Photos